Thursday, January 28, 2010

Growing....so much...in just a year

I often look back, remembering back to being pregnant...being so anxious and wanting him to arrive early. I can still hear the voices of friends and family reminding me that I needed to cherish this time (blah blah blah). I remember the final 2 weeks...working around the house, cleaning, purging, getting my house ready for this little addition. Praying everyday...that he would come...I wanted him early...I wanted him NOW. I knew his little life was still being formed, that God was still laying out the path that he will be taking. That my grandma was holding him in heaven asking God for one more lullaby, one more kiss and one more story before sending him to me.

Well...I will admit it! EVERYONE was right...God sent me Brody, when Brody was ready. He had quite the schedule to keep...he was NOT allowed to come the weekend before his due date since it was a HUGE UFC fight night, and daddy really wanted to watch. He was not allowed to come until at least Feb 4th, since that's when Pappy arrived in town, and he was NOT allowed to come late...heaven forbid he would interrupt the Super Bowl. Being the compliant boy he is....he came at the earliest possible time, as to satisfy my yearning to meet him and not interrupt any other plans. Luckily for me...it was RIGHT ON HIS DUE DATE!!!

He was born at 5:42 pm on Feb. 4. He was 6 lbs and 21 1/2 inches long. Who was there to witness his birth...EVERYONE! Drew and I, of course, along with BOTH my parents and Drew's mom. Outside the doors were more friends and family. I was open (in more ways that one) to ANYONE who wanted to watch. The more the merrier!! Creepy...I know! Literally seconds after he was born, our room was flooded with people wanting to meet him. Uncle Scott, Uncle Ryan & Auntie Des, Erik, Brad and Gina. He was so loved...and still is by all of those people and more!

He popped out with his eyes WIDE open...ready to take on the world.

There were two things that I vividly remember to this very day:

#1 the feeling as I held him when I first saw him, thinking he was the cutest baby ever. Most newborns are not a pretty sight, but then you get those rare ones, who are perfect! I remember thinking that he was THAT ONE rare baby...that he was flawless. Well let me tell you....looking back at those pictures...he was a MESS!!! Cone head (seriously...like from the movie...full on conehead!), face all beat up...he really looked like he has gone through the ringer (which I guess he had).

#2 the food. Seriously to this very day...I still think (and tell people) that Kaiser Roseville serves the best meatloaf on the planet!!! That was my first meal after childbirth...and still thinking back today...so delicious!

I get tears in my eyes when I talk about that life changing day in my life. God had given this boy to me and placed him in my care and now it was my job to do the right thing in raising him.

Thursday, Feb 4th (2 days), Brody will be a year old and I have enjoyed every moment of this past year. He has grown so much and taught me more in the process.

Watching him take his first steps, saying a new word, his eyes lighting up when I come home from work, slide down a slide, throw a ball, play hide and seek, dance, throw his first tantrum (because he couldn't go on the escalator), playing with friends, making new friends, sharing a snack of goldfish crackers and grapes (with me and the dog), blowing kisses, splashing in the tub, reading books, throwing him on the bed, and sometimes...just sitting in our laps, quietly, enjoying the moment.

He is the little love of my life and he makes me want to be a better person...mother and wife! He has taught me unconditional love...a gift that I know I have received, but have never been able to truly understand.

My nurse asked me...(as my epidural had worn off and I was about to push) "Do you ever wonder why people do this more than once?" Although I do not remember my response (i bet it was very candid)...I do remember her handing me my son and saying "this is why"

Brody...everyday I have another reason to love you!

Happy Birthday my little love bug!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Megan! This is the best post, EVER! I got teary eyed and I was also cracking up...probably because I can totally relate. We are so blessed to have our boys...and I know that neither of us can imagine our lives without them. Thanks for sharing...and Happy Birthday to Brody! We'll see you guys soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is precious. What a wonderful year it has been with Brody in the world. Such a true bundle of joy in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That boy is a character...just like his mommy and daddy. I love that little man like no other and miss him being at Lea's already! :( I can't beleive it's been a year! You'll have plenty more memories to come but the first year is always precious. I'm so glad he made it enjoyable for you and wasn't too much of a brat! But then, oonce you see that smile, you forget all about the tantrums and peeing on the floor... Happy Birthday, Pinchy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, Megan! I seriously have to stop reading your blogs while at work. People are going to think somthing is emotionally wrong with me! You write so beautifully about the passions in your life thanks for sharing your heart. Brody has brought SUCH joy to many! I hope we did cuase too much of a distraction at his birthday party. It was so fun to watch all the excitment from Texas! Happy First Birthday Bro-man! Love you guys.
    -Auntie Ashley

    ReplyDelete